Friday 2 September 2011

Friends with Benefits

Hello my lovelies! I know...I know....I've been MIA but I just moved and I was unpacking and all the lovely complications that come with relocating.

Anyway, I'm back and I have two words for you: fuck buddies.

Have you guys seen either of the movies "No Strings Attached" or "Friends with Benefits"?
Either one will do really because as far as I'm concerned, the stories are the same. Two friends...two single friends....two single sexually frustrated friends decide to have no strings attached sex with each other and we know how the story ends; they end up (in both cases) falling stupidly deeply in love and yadda yadda ya.

My question is this: is it truly possible to engage in "no strings attached sex" with a friend? Please notice, I say friend, because I am well aware that a person can have sex with a stranger without any sort of emotions coming into play. The dynamic is different. With a one night stand, you usually don't know the person and the chances of you seeing them again are often times slim, hence the detachment.

However, you are emotionally invested in a friend. You already care for this person. otherwise you wouldn't be friends, now would you? So how do you both enter into a physical relationship,with a promise to each other that the feelings will not develop beyond the platonic? It seems to me that adding the physical aspect to any friendship opens the door for emotions to escalate beyond the platonic. But maybe I'm just crazy.

So how many of these fuck buddy situations actually work out anyway? Not many you say....I wonder why? It probably has to do with the fact that friends really shouldn't sleep with friends.

Now don't get me wrong, I can definitely see the appeal. Screw the awkward getting to know you dates! This right here is my homie, I've known him since high school. The convenience is also an added plus. Horny at 2 a.m.? Hot sex on the kitchen counter is a text message away. Don't wanna cuddle? No problem! When you're done, show him the door. And who knows you better than friend? Your likes and dislikes, turn - ons and turn offs, your flaws, your insecurities; you don't have to hide or cover up who you are with them. It seems like a pretty sweet deal.

Then everything goes south. One friend falls, whether it be for the fuck buddy or for some other random person. Usually the feelings aren't mutual. The fuck buddy doesn't feel as emotionally attached as the fallen friend or the fuck buddy is not ready to give their sexual privileges. Either way, this is a recipe for heartache and a ruined friendship.

And let's just say I'm a pessimistic bitch and it does work out. The sex is good, you had your fun, its over and done with and both parties have move on to new relationships, friendship intact. If the current partners find out (and  they somehow always do, especially the women) that you two used to sleep together, there is bound to be a whole lot of d-r-a-m-a and jealousy going around.

I can hear y'all in the back of my head saying "don't knock til you've tried it", but let me tell you this, I am knocking it. I stand firm by what I say; friends should not sleep with friends. (Now if only the cast of Jersey Shore would take my foolish advice...)

The Pink Duchess
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment